St. Lawrence is the downtown neighbourhood between Yonge and Parliament, south ofFront Street. It’s also called St. Lawrence Market, referring to the large historicalbuilding on Front Street in the hub of the hood which is a farmers’ market Tuesday to Saturday and an antique market on Sunday. When the city of York was founded in 1793, the area south of Front Street was actually below the waterline which was soon ﬁlled into provide more land port. The ﬁrst Parliament buildings were on Front and Parliament (hence the name of the street) and the Saturday farmers’ market was established in1803. The original Toronto CIty Hall was built at King and Jarvis in 1834, replaced in1849 after the great ﬁre, the building is now the North Market. 1n 1840, the Esplanade and inﬁll projects were created (and ﬁnished in 1865) as a roadway and rail lines into the core of the city.
After a century of being industrial land, the neighbourhood became residential in the1970s when a new innovative plan for urban renewal was conceived by Mayor DavidCrombie. With a mix of high rise, low-rise, townhomes, businesses, retail, andrestaurants, the neighbourhood would blend in with the rest of the city. With interesting and historical architecture, such as the Flatiron building, the area is a great place to liveand visit. Easy access TTC and Union Station and short walk to the Distillery to the east and the ACC and Rogers Centre to the west, it ‘s a perfect downtown location for urbanites to rent or buy.